RE: Our white paper on Semantic Node Labeling in Clinical models

I think I know what the difference is between our views.

I agree RDF might have been a better way to go then regular OO UML models.
 But I'm addressing the state of the clinical modeling world for the past
10 years or more.
The three main world wide clinical modeling systems in use are HL7 RIM,
openEHR, and ISO 13606.
The vast majority (maybe even all) clinical models from standards
organizations are OO, and most of them sometimes use SNOMED and often mess
up the boundary between the
intensional and extensional parts of the models.

Our paper is to correct the current state of clinical modeling as it is
and has been for many years.

It might be that these issues would be addressed differently if we were
talking about a mixture of RDF and SNOMED.  But that's not how it is out
in the world.

I wonder if there were mappings between the OO extensional parts of HL7
CDA, openEHR, ISO 13606 and an RDF representation what new things could be
done.
Probably a lot of useful new queries.

We are pointing out the current state of the clinical modeling world of
the three International standards currently used, and the mixing up of
SNOMED with them.

Not the theoretical situation of mixing RDF and SNOMED which might be very
useful and interesting.

NOTICE TO RECIPIENT:  If you are not the intended recipient of this
e-mail, you are prohibited from sharing, copying, or otherwise using or
disclosing its contents.  If you have received this e-mail in error,
please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and permanently
delete this e-mail and any attachments without reading, forwarding or
saving them.  Thank you.

"Sahay, Ratnesh" <ratnesh.sahay@deri.org>
09/18/2012 04:15 AM

Peter Hendler/CA/KAIPERM@KAIPERM
cc
<eric@w3.org>, "Deus, Helena" <helena.deus@deri.org>,
<kerstin.l.forsberg@gmail.com>, <LINMD.SIMON@mcrf.mfldclin.edu>,
<meadch@mail.nih.gov>, <mscottmarshall@gmail.com>,
<public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org>
Subject
RE: Our white paper on Semantic Node Labeling in Clinical models

Hi Peter,

I agree that extensional (closed world clinical models) and intentional
(SNOMED) models need a separate treatment. Developers (human)  or
reasoners (machine) need a mechanism to understand their boundary and act
appropriately. For example, below annotations in RED would help developers
to interpret their scope of use.

--OWL Manchester Syntax---

(1 ) DataProperty: effectiveTime
                Domain: ActLabObservation (*coming from HL7 RIM*)
                Range: xsd:dateTime
                Annotations: rdfs:label "local or extentional property"

(2) ObjectProperty: snomed:DirectSubstance
                Annotations: rdfs:label "Substance on which the lab
procedure method directly acts"
                Annotations: rdfs:label "global or intentional property"
SubPropertyChain:
                snomed:DirectSubstance o snomed:HasActiveIngredient

However,  annotations (or lables) are reasoner-insensitive, so the
separation and use of both type of models (extensional, intentional)  is
entirely on a developer’s understanding.  IMO, to avoid “undesirable
inferences” by “mixing-up” these two types of models (extensional,
intentional), caution should be taken at a stage where alignments
(subclass, equivalentClass, etc.) are created between them.  Also, there
should be a guideline (for specific settings) about (1) when interfaces
are required (i.e., reasoners); and (2) when only querying (SPARQL) is
sufficient. This will help further on your proposal for SNL. Since long
there has been a discussion on this [1,2] in the Semantic Web Community,
still we need to see something concrete.

[1] B. Motik, I. Horrocks, R. Rosati, and U. Sattler, “Can OWL and Logic
Programming Live Together Happily Ever After?” in International Semantic
Web Conference, 2006, pp. 501–514. [Online]. Available:
http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/boris.motik/pubs/mhs06happily.pdf

[2] B. Motik, I. Horrocks, and U. Sattler, “Bridging the gap between OWL
and relational databases,” J. Web
Sem., vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 74–89, 2009. [Online]. Available:
http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/ian.horrocks/Publications/download/2007/MoHS07a.pdf

Regards,
Ratnesh