RE: Our white paper on Semantic Node Labeling in Clinical models

We (Kaiser) have been doing this without the labels for many years.  We
have an extensional model (which is just our proprietary E.H.R) and we
limit SNOMED terms to the "what" using Clinical findings and Procedures.
We first do SNOMED subsumptions independent of our clinical model.  That
returns us a list of SNOMED codes. We then, in a separate step use those
codes in an extensional (SQL) query to get the associated MRNs we need.
This is a generalized way to so what we do.  If you are all in one
organization and you have agreements that act in place of SNLs then you
don't have to make them explicit.
This is a way to make them explicit in models we may get from elsewhere.
We have about 9 million patients and have been doing this ever since we've
had our E.H.R.  By keeping the SNOMED "walled off" we can always safely
use the reasoners without worrying about non intensional junk on the
nodes.

NOTICE TO RECIPIENT:  If you are not the intended recipient of this
e-mail, you are prohibited from sharing, copying, or otherwise using or
disclosing its contents.  If you have received this e-mail in error,
please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and permanently
delete this e-mail and any attachments without reading, forwarding or
saving them.  Thank you.

"Lin MD, Simon" <LINMD.SIMON@mcrf.mfldclin.edu>
09/17/2012 03:02 PM

Peter Hendler/CA/KAIPERM@KAIPERM, "ratnesh.sahay@deri.org"
<ratnesh.sahay@deri.org>
cc
"eric@w3.org" <eric@w3.org>, "helena.deus@deri.org"
<helena.deus@deri.org>, "kerstin.l.forsberg@gmail.com"
<kerstin.l.forsberg@gmail.com>, "meadch@mail.nih.gov"
<meadch@mail.nih.gov>, "mscottmarshall@gmail.com"
<mscottmarshall@gmail.com>, "public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org"
<public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org>
Subject
RE: Our white paper on Semantic Node Labeling in Clinical models

Do you have a toy example running, or a fully functional system running?

Simon
Simon Lin, MD | Director, Biomedical Informatics Research Center |
Marshfield Clinic Research Foundation | 1000 N Oak Ave, Marshfield, WI
54449 | 715-221-7299 | Lin.Simon@mcrf.mfldclin.edu |
www.marshfieldclinic.org/birc

For scheduling assistance, please contact Crystal Gumz, Administrative
Secretary | 715-221-6403 | gumz.crystal@mcrf.mfldclin.edu