From: M. Scott Marshall [mailto:mscottmarshall@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 29, 2012 8:54 AM
To: HCLS
Subject: HCLS presentation at AMIA TBI last week and Medicine Safety
Code

https://plus.google.com/u/0/114642613065018821852/posts/YYsDma7S3V9

+Matthias Samwald presented work on March 21 in a podium presentation
at the AMIA 2012 Summit on Translational Bioinformatics [1]. The work
was from the Pharmacogenomics for Clinical Research task force [2] (in
which I participate), of the W3C Health Care and Life Sciences Interest
Group [3]. Michel Dumontier, Joanne Luciano, and Robert Freimuth were
also present at AMIA TBI and several from the task force contributed to
the presentation. The presentation included our recently published
vision of an informatics infrastructure [4] (with "Semantic Web
Inside"), as well as Matthias's idea: a code that points clinicians to
genetic information about the patient that can be used to select drug
therapies and dosages in order to increase safety. The medicine safety
code [5] should help to raise awareness of the possibilities of
personalized medicine.

[1] http://www.amia.org/jointsummits2012
[2] http://www.w3.org/wiki/HCLSIG/Pharmacogenomics
[3] http://www.w3.org/blog/hcls/