Re: Systems Biology Task Force Kick-Off - tomorrow (Feb 22) at 11AM EDT

     Hello Helena, All,

  I'm interested in joining the Systems Biology Taskforce. Sorry I
could not make the initial call. My interest is turning biological
knowledge into mathematical models, automatically. A brief description
is below.

  Thanks!

     Take care
     Oliver

  Living organisms are so enormously complex that we need computer
simulations to understand the consequences of their vast biochemical
reaction networks. As we uncover an increasing part of these networks,
our established knowledge is increasingly stored in free web databases
and available for query and download in machine-readable formats,
especially in the RDF/OWL-based community standard Biological Pathways
Exchange (BioPAX) [1]. The available data is massive and growing, e.g.
Pathway Commons [2] stores 1,700 pathways, 414 organisms, 440,000
interactions and 86,000 substances. This data is fully linked with
open controlled terminologies such as gene ontology (e.g. anatomical
features) [3] and other free online databases such as ChEBI
(chemicals) [4], KEGG (genes a.o.) [5], UniProt (proteins) [6] and
PubMed (publications) [7].

  Automatic use of this knowledge for computer simulations of
biological organisms has been an ongoing challenge [8,9,10]. Now,
Systems Biology Pathway Exchange (SBPAX) [11], a BioPAX extension,
allows the inclusion of quantitative data and systems biology terms,
especially the Systems Biology Ontology (SBO) [12]. SBPAX support has
been implemented by the Virtual Cell [13], Signaling Gateway Molecule
Pages [14] and System for the Analysis of Biochemical Pathways -
Reaction Kinetics (SABIO-RK) [15]. For the first time, a mathematical
model can be automatically built and fully annotated from a pathway of
interest.

  Citations:

  [1] Biological Pathway Exchange (BioPAX), www.biopax.org
  [2] Pathway Commons, www.pathwaycommons.org
  [3] Gene Ontology (GO), www.geneontology.org/
  [4] Chemical Entities of Biological Interest (ChEBI), www.ebi.ac.uk/chebi/
  [5] Kyoto Encyclopedia of Genes and Genomes (KEGG), wwww.genome.jp/kegg/
  [6] UniProt, www.uniprot.org
  [7] PubMed, www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/
  [8] Modeling without Borders: Creating and Annotating VCell Models
Using the Web, Michael L. Blinov, Oliver Ruebenacker, James C. Schaff
and Ion I. Moraru,  Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 2010, Volume
6053 (2010).
  [9] Using views of Systems Biology Cloud: application for model
building, Oliver Ruebenacker, Michael Blinov, Theory in Biosciences,
Volume 130, Number 1, 45-54 (2010).
  [10] Integrating BioPAX pathway knowledge with SBML models, Michael
L Blinov, Oliver Ruebenacker, Ion I Moraru, IET Syst. Biol., 2009,
Vol. 3, Iss. 5, pp. 317-328 (2009).
  [11] Systems Biology Pathway Exchange (SBPAX), www.sbpax.org
  [12] Systems Biology Ontology, www.ebi.ac.uk/sbo/main/
  [13] Virtual Cell, http://vcell.org
  [14] Signaling Gateway Molecule Pages, www.signaling-gateway.org/molecule/
  [15] System for the Analysis of Biological Pathways – Reaction
Kinetics (SABIO-RK), http://sabio.villa-bosch.de/

--
Oliver Ruebenacker, Computational Cell Biologist
Virtual Cell (http://vcell.org)