 From: "Peter.Hendler@kp.org" <Peter.Hendler@kp.org>
To: conor-dowling@caregraf.com
Cc: david@dbooth.org; helena.deus@deri.org; kerstin.l.forsberg@gmail.com; LINMD.SIMON@mcrf.mfldclin.edu; meadch@mail.nih.gov; mscottmarshall@gmail.com; public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org; ratnesh.sahay@deri.org
Sent: Wednesday, August 22, 2012 2:43 PM
Subject: Re: seeks input on Study Data Exchange Standards An alternative approach

It is completely driven by the doctors
who use the system. Every month from our various hospitals and clinics,
in the various regions, we get "requests" to add terms to our
E.H.R.

Some of the requests are from doctors
in the field who find something missing that they want.  Other requests,
from the look of them, seem to be from someone who is reading an ICD9 or
ICD10 book and says, "I see this in ICD10 but not in our EHR so I
will request it now".

The requests come into CMT (we have
an organized work flow for this). It is reviewed.  Sometimes we can
get back to the requester and say, we already have this term, but we'll
add your phrase as a synonym for you.  If we don't have the term,
then we add it by adding a "display name" which is local to us,
and follows some naming conventions.

Then it gets mapped to ICD9 and ICD10.
 Then we look for it in SNOMED.

If there is a one to one match we map
it.
If there is only a parent, then we map
it to the parent as an "Is A" match and we flag that for later
modeling.
Eventually we get around to adding a
newly  modeled one-to-one term.  This is in our SNOMED extension.
That eventually gets submitted to NLM
and IHTSDO where it has a few possible fates.
It can get added to SNOMED international,
it can get added to the USA extension, or it can remain only in the Kaiser
extension.

Meanwhile, we also map all terms to
a "patient facing name".  this name is what shows up on
the patient portal.

We realize hardly anyone can maintain
such a large team just to deal with terminology.  So we donated all
of CMT to NLM.  We haven't given them it all at once because, we need
to check it for errors at least a little before we release it to the public.
 So we sequentially, with some schedule, release "bundles".
 For example, Cardiac conditions, or Neurology or Urology.
Eventually NLM will have everything.

I have some traveling coming up, but
we could do a webex to present CMT to this group in the future.

We don't solve all problems related
to vocabulary, but we have a good system that does a lot, and even lets
us use SNOMED subsumption.

NOTICE TO RECIPIENT: If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are prohibited
from sharing, copying, or otherwise using or disclosing its contents.  If
you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately
by reply e-mail and permanently delete this e-mail and any attachments
without reading, forwarding or saving them.  Thank you.

Conor Dowling <conor-dowling@caregraf.com>
08/22/2012 11:17 AM  To Peter Hendler/CA/KAIPERM@KAIPERM
cc david@dbooth.org, helena.deus@deri.org,
kerstin.l.forsberg@gmail.com, LINMD.SIMON@mcrf.mfldclin.edu, meadch@mail.nih.gov,
mscottmarshall@gmail.com, public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org, ratnesh.sahay@deri.org
Subject Re: seeks input on Study Data Exchange
Standards An alternative approach

thanks Peter.

Just so I'm clear - and maybe getting too detailed for
this discussion but while I have you here - so the CMT (on
NLM here) defines selections and provides display
names for SNOMED but do you have a formal approach to the level of coordination?

Is severity always or never coordinated etc or is the
approach "if it's in CMT, it's used" and there's no formal definition
of "this is for the model, this is for the terminology". Or is
Epic's model the determinant ie/ if Epic has two slots - "allergin:
Strawberry/ disorder: Allergy" - then you don't coordinate and use
separate terms from SNOMED but if Epic has one slot - "Disorder type:
Allergy to Strawberry" - then you coordinate?

Conor

On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 10:28 AM, <Peter.Hendler@kp.org>