Re: seeks input on Study Data Exchange Standards An alternative approach

Peter,

how does Kaiser decide what level of coordination to use? Let me take
RxNORM - do you use that for drugs? - does your OO/model record dosage,
route etc or is that coordinated in the "what"? For SNOMED, do you stay
clear of coordinated allergies (Allergic to Strawberries") and use two
model fields 'Allergy' and (substance = strawberry) or do you use as much
SNOMED coordination as you can? I suppose I'm asking, for each concept
scheme, does Kaiser have a "profile" where you decide on coordination vs
what's in the "model"?

I had to do a lot of CCD stuff last year (opinion: a big messed up, going
no-where hack) where the split of "model"/xml tags and terminologies/codes
was never set and so you can lean on a terminology or the "model"/xml tags (see
post <http://www.caregraf.com/blog/so-much-choice-through-meaningful-use>).
This is where I see the value in the split of concept scheme and clinical
care vocabulary. It's not closed/open per se but in guidance or at least
explicit recognition of multiple choices for expression beyond the obvious
who-where-when.