Re: Ontology(ies) for health / disease / behaviour questionnaires?

From: Michel Dumontier <michel.dumontier@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2012 11:20:26 -0400
To: Dan Bolser <dan.bolser@gmail.com>
Cc: public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org
On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 5:45 AM, Dan Bolser <dan.bolser@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> Sorry if this is the wrong forum for such a general question, but I
> figure that people on this list should be able to advise...
> I want to build a site to allow people to create, share, and complete
> 'health related' questionnaires. For example, a 'healthy eating'
> questionnaire, an 'allergy' questionnaire, or an 'exercise'
> questionnaire.
> This is obviously a very complex knowledge domain to model, but I'm
> guessing there are several ontologies out there that cover at least
> some of the terms and values involved?
> What can you suggest?
> The idea is that the user creates questions like 'cups of coffee per
> week', 'grams of caffeine per day', 'hours of exercise per week', or
> 'how often do you go jogging on average: once a day, once a week,
> etc', etc.

so 'cups of coffee per week' is a rate of consumption, which could be
captured by an OWL class expression using SIO's relations (but the types
are made up)

'reported cups of coffee per week'
 'has value' some "X"^^owl:real
 'has unit' some 'cup per week'
 and 'is measurement value of' some 'consumption of coffee'

where 'consumption of coffee'
 and 'has input' some 'coffee'

> Ideally, creating the questions would be guided by (but not
> necessarily restricted to) the use of underlying ontologies, and the
> results would be comparable (where possible) by 'reasoning' over the
> terms.
> Cheers,
> Dan.

Michel Dumontier
Associate Professor of Bioinformatics, Carleton University