RE: [BioRDF] W3C Note on expression RDF

hi lena,

it looks like it is actually an indication of possibly a bad alignment
mapping (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2813481/)

"MicroRNAs (miRNAs) are short (20–23 nt) RNAs that are sequence-specific
mediators of transcriptional and post-transcriptional regulation of gene
expression. Modern high-throughput technologies enable deep sequencing of
such RNA species on an unprecedented scale. We find that the analysis of
small RNA deep-sequencing libraries can be affected by cross-mapping, in
which RNA sequences originating from one locus are inadvertently mapped to
another. Similar to cross-hybridization on microarrays, cross-mapping is
prevalent among miRNAs, as they tend to occur in families, are similar or
derived from repeat or structural RNAs, or are post-transcriptionally
modified. Here, we develop a strategy to correct for cross-mapping, and
apply it to the analysis of RNA editing in mature miRNAs. In contrast to
previous reports, our analysis suggests that RNA editing in mature miRNAs
is rare in animals."

i'll also try and find other sequencing data to get a broader idea of the
quantitation types for different rna-seq technologies.

cheers,

michael