Re: HCLS Mission Statement

Helena,

This is a very nice start.  I have made some suggested editorial changes below.

HCLS Mission Statement - Revised DRAFT

The mission of the W3C Health Care and Life Science Interest Group is to enable the most rapid, scalable, interdisciplinary solution of critical problems in Health Care and Life Sciences (HCLS) using web-based data-driven approaches.

We do this by proposing and developing Web interoperability standards applicable to the HCLS domains, based on real-life requirements for Web-based support of scientific and clinical activities, and a vision of 21st century research in biology and medicine in which the Web plays an integral part.

HCLS-IG actively supports the in-depth practical involvement of researchers in basic, clinical and translational science, and other domain experts, in development of these standards, through outreach activities, including requirements and scenario formulation, tutorials, ontology development, low-level demos, workshops and publications in peer-reviewed journals and conferences.

Best

Tim

Tim Clark
Director of Informatics, MassGeneral Institute for Neurodegenerative Disease
Instructor in Neurology, Harvard Medical School
65 Landsdowne St, 2nd floor
Cambridge MA 02139 USA
+1 617-947-7098

On May 27, 2011, at 7:10 PM, Helena Deus wrote:

> Dear HCLS,
> This is a primer for a mission statement for the next charter of HCLS. Of course, it is inspired by the previous charter's HCLS mission statement, but with a focus on problem-driven research.
>
> The mission of the W3C Health Care and Life Science Work Group is to 1) solve problems in health care and life sciences using data-driven approaches; 2) support involvement of non-technical HCLS domain experts through outreach activities including low-level demos, workshops and publications in peer-reviewed journals and conferences and finally 3) propose and develop interoperability standards  applicable to the HCLS domains.
>
> Any comments/alterations/suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
>
> Kind Regards,
> Helena Deus

dispose of the e-mail.