Re: Good news from the EBI Semantic Web Industry Workshop and LODD members

I didnt see these questions get answered so...

- The workshop was organised by me (Lee Harland, Pfizer), Derek Scuffle
(Syngenta), Dominc Clark & Nicolas Le Novere.

- There were about 50 people there, mostly industry and some invited
speakers & some EBI

- For those who dont know it, the EBI industry programme is a
subscription-based group that provides a mechanism for life science industry
to work directly with the EBI on strategy and addressing needs. The workshop
was part of a large series of workshops we run on many different topics
relevant to industry (google ebi industry programme for more info). The aim
of this was to allow industry to chat about its experience with SW in an
informal setting, away from the pressure of big conferences, and to explore
areas of collaboration with the EBI

- There were no biotech representatives there; the EBI also runs an SME
forum which provides a similar mechanism for EBI & biotech to get together.
I dont know much more than this, but if interested Dominic Clark is your
man.

- Access to the presentations. I was going to speak to dominic about this
next week. Generally presentations are stored in a secure website, which
allows presenters (especially from companies) to be sure their materials are
not generally distributed. However, i think many presenters whould be OK
with this, so we will see what we can do...

- Finally, is this related to the Pistoia alliance.... The direct answer is
no. The EBI industry programme is a completely separate entity and this was
purely based on that. However, a significant number of folks who are active
in Pistoia (such as me) have also worked long term with the EBI. the EBI is
also a member of Pistoia too. So, i think the best thing to say is that
"there are great connections between the 2 groups". Also the EBI is the lead
on the Pistoia SESL project (semantic enrichement of the scientific
literature - more details are available to those interested), so there are
firm connections between ebi & pistoia in the semantic area

I think that answers all the questions I've seen.... Happy to talk to anyone
about thoughts/opportunities etc. Within Pistoia we're actively discussing
where the semantic web fits, to that end there's an interesting meeting
coming up
http://www.pistoiaalliance.org/2011-Events/6-june-2011-pistoia-alliance-technical-committee-open-teleconference-and-webinar.html

Lee