Re: Fwd: [open-science] LODD Hack Session Notes - Is It Open request signatories needed

Hi Matthias,

On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 10:46 AM, Matthias Samwald <samwald@gmx.at> wrote:
> I'm not sure if clear-cut rules for LODD have been defined. However, many
> people interested/involved in LODD come from commercially oriented companies
> (mostly pharmaceutical companies). Therefore it certainly IS a reason for
> concern if 5 out of 12 datasets disallow commercial use without permission.

Agreed. It may also be relevant to all those research institutes that
also have commercial activities, many of them who have mixed funding
from national and EU projects, but also sell consultancy, etc.

> It would certainly be helpful to convince these data providers of removing
> the NC clause, but it seems unlikely.

Indeed. This is why that latter was supposed to be informative, rather
than requesting dropping that clause. At this moment, I am not aware
that anyone has challenged a company for using data with a NC clause,
but this is bound to happen.

> Looking at the list of datasets with
> NC clauses (including Drugbank, LinkedCT, major parts of SIDER, STITCH), I
> get the feeling that the providers did not choose to include NC clauses on a
> whim.

Agreed.

> I guess the best we can realistically do for these datasets is to
> improve the visibility of these licensing restrictions for people that want
> to use them.

Yes, and that's an actual LODD activity we discussed about half a year
ago, and which was the first half of the work done in the hack
session: just getting clear what the actual terms of use are :) For
three they are unclear, and we will seek clarification for those.
That's the three letters being referred to in Jenny's email.

Egon

--
Dr E.L. Willighagen
Postdoctoral Researcher