RE: Trying to summarise: Semantic free identifiers

From: Michel_Dumontier <Michel_Dumontier@carleton.ca>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 16:59:53 -0400
To: Andrea Splendiani <andrea.splendiani@bbsrc.ac.uk>, James Malone <malone@ebi.ac.uk>
CC: "andrea splendiani (RRes-Roth)" <andrea.splendiani@rothamsted.ac.uk>, Helena Deus <helenadeus@gmail.com>, Matt Vagnoni <matthew.vagnoni@uth.tmc.edu>, Michel_Dumontier <michel_dumontier@carleton.ca>, "Sivaram Arabandi, MD" <sivaram.arabandi@gmail.com>, "M. Scott Marshall" <mscottmarshall@gmail.com>, Chime Ogbuji <chimezie@gmail.com>, "MMVagnoni@mdanderson.org" <mmvagnoni@mdanderson.org>, HCLS <public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org>, Jonathan Rees <jar@creativecommons.org>
> I think one of the main point is the role of the 'web'.

The role of the 'web' in Semantic Web is that we can publish and share our formalized data/knowledge using HTTP URIs - with minimal coordination (e.g. once you find something you like, you can reference it using its URI; regardless of whether it has a number or a word attached to it).

Best,

m.