Re: My task from last week: Semantic free identifiers

From: Chime Ogbuji <chimezie@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 14:26:31 -0400
To: Helena Deus <helenadeus@gmail.com>
Cc: Matt Vagnoni <matthew.vagnoni@uth.tmc.edu>, Michel_Dumontier <Michel_Dumontier@carleton.ca>, Sivaram Arabandi, MD <sivaram.arabandi@gmail.com>, "M. Scott Marshall" <mscottmarshall@gmail.com>, Andrea Splendiani <andrea.splendiani@bbsrc.ac.uk>, "MMVagnoni@mdanderson.org" <MMVagnoni@mdanderson.org>, James Malone <malone@ebi.ac.uk>, HCLS <public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org>, Jonathan Rees <jar@creativecommons.org>
FYI, the rationale behind the use of identifiers for SNOMED-CT (ironically enough, given this thread) was to allow for some organizational semantics to be embedded in them. See: http://www.ihtsdo.org/fileadmin/user_upload/Docs_01/Publications/SNOMED_CT/SNOMED_CT_Identifiers_v1.0.pdf

[[[
The SctId does not contain semantic information related to the meaning of a concept or other component. It does however have a structure that is designed to allow different types of terminological components to be recognized. The nature of a component can also be derived from the table in which a component is distributed. However, the advantage of partitioning the SctId is that it also allows the nature of the identifier to be recognized when stored in a record or transferred in a message.

]]]

So, SNOMED-CT codes are actually not truly semantic-free identifiers. At least not in the sense of the OBO identifiers that we are discussing here.

Also, as a person who uses SNOMED-CT quite a bit, and builds tools that translate its distributions to and from OWL via various naming conventions, I actually find its use of codes to be quite a pain. Automatically generated Manchester OWL from SNOMED when the 'preferred names' are used instead make for a much more legible (and thus effective) way to quickly reference the meaning of SNOMED-CT concepts (even much more effectively than via the Clue browser, for instance).

Certainly, the risk that the preferred names change independent of the codes can be a problem for such a translation, but the use of the equivalent of annotation predicates such as skos:altLabel, rdfs:label, etc. can alleviate this - as I alluded to earlier. I guess this ability to have an effective annotation mechanism is an example of a difference between the SNOMED-CT representational framework and RDF (to answer your question about what makes them 'special').

--
Chime Ogbuji
Sent with Sparrow