Re: My task from last week: Semantic free identifiers

Am I correct in assuming that we are talking about Ontology models that are used to describe a domain and not the instance data? For sure, at the instance data level, using opaque identifiers, preferably generated, would be the way to go.

Excellent point about databases, but I am not sure the analogy applies here. The identifiers are indeed internal to the technology and information systems. Databases enforce uniqueness of the primary keys - however, this doesn't prevent duplicate 'labels' from being introduced into the system, each with their own primary key. The unique identifiers don't mean a thing then - some poor human has to manually do the clean up.

--Sivaram