Re: HCLS chartering/next steps Thur 16 June

Regrets, I cannot attend the call :-(

A few points:

1. Suggest to change in the High Level Use cases
- *Structured protocols* and experimental results

I think we need to elaborate at least one of the use cases and describe them
as a workflow (e.g. user needs to find about a pathway where two proteins
are involved; user goes to uniprot to find the two proteins, finds the
identified in kegg pathways and interactome, searches those databases, finds
a list of other potential interacting proteins; uploads the data in string
db, etc). This will help identify the gaps and help devise the deliverables
around it.

As it is, the use cases are more topics for exploring use cases.

2. We've been brainstorming about the mission statement here at DERI and
here is what we came up with (based on the proposal by Tim Clark):

The mission of the W3C HCLS IG is to exploit interdisciplinary, semantic web
research so that stakeholders in health care and life sciences can
collaborate and interoperate on a global scale.

We enable this mission by actively adopting Web interoperability standards
applicable to HCLS, and providing feedback to the standards development
groups within the W3C based on our experiences. Our program is based on
real-life requirements for the Web-based support of scientific and clinical
activities, and a vision of 21st century research in biology and medicine.
The evolving "web of data" is a critical component of this vision.

The HCLS-IG actively supports the in-depth, practical involvement of
multidisciplinary researchers in basic, clinical, and translational science
in the application and development of these standards. Our activities
include requirements and scenario formulation, tutorials, demonstrations and
ontology development, hosting workshops, and dissemination in peer-reviewed
journals and conferences.

3. We have also came up with a number of activities that may be interesting
to explore beyond what is already in the charter

Health Care domains

   - Improved Diagnosis: Enable diagnostic decisions based on previous
   evidence and aggregation of data from multiple electronic health record
   system (EHR)
   - Clinical Information Exchange: develop (semi-)automated ontology
   building and alignment methods/tools for non-ontological healthcare
   resources. Clinical information consists of different information parts
   (e.g., medical history, lab observation) of a comprehensive patient record.
   The clinical information uses several vocabularies and constraints to
   describe their contents. Each of these vocabularies either described and
   controlled by the standardisation committees or by local users. The use of
   semantics for successful Clinical Information Exchange can reach to
   full-potential by adopting domain specific methodologies and tool sets.
   - Patient-Centric Care: develop context-aware and modular Semantic Web
   framework. Patient's clinical information spans across different sites,
   treatment occasions, diseases, medical situations (e.g., routine,
   accidents), etc. It is important to arrange them in information modules and
   integration should be centered according to point-of-care, that is, only
   those information pieces should be combined or excluded that are appropriate
   for any treatment situation.

Life Sciences Domains

   - Systems Biology: integration of multiple "omics" sciences
   - Functional and Pathway Analysis of Expression Data: analysis of gene
   expression results by categorizing results in terms of gene sets (there is
   very little work going on in this area and a VERY big need. I know work
   going on in the Netherlands where this area is under development.)
   - Structure Bioinformatics/Chemoinformatics: integration of information
   regarding chemical components (Egon has done most of the work in this
   domain, time we help him a bit?)

Best,
Lena

--