Re: Version 1.0 of Bio2RDF and Chembl webapps released

Hi Peter,

Great work! On the example page you provided
(http://bio2rdf.org/page/geneid:12334) I also see properties such as
http://purl.org/science/owl/sciencecommons/describes_gene_or_gene_product_mentioned_by
which come from the Science Commons KB (and the HCLS Knowledge Base
developed in the first charter of the HCLS interest group). Did those
properties go into Bio2RDF because you imported some data from the Science
Commons KB, or did you deliberately choose to re-use those properties
because you considered them useful?

> If you want to make changes to any of the datasources, you can
> normalise results (and denormalise queries) using rules. This version
> allows you to use XSLT and SPARQL in addition to Regular Expressions
> that were already supported. For example this now means that if there
> are XML datasources, you can convert them to RDF using the
> normalisation rules in the server. The software now uses Sesame 2.4.0
> which contains support for SPARQL Query 1.1 so any SPARQL rules that
> are applied to intermediate results can be transformed using the new
> functions and language features. In particular, SPARQL 1.1 allows you
> to create new URIs inside queries, so if you know that there are
> literals in an rdf document that you could create a URI out of, you
> can do it using a SPARQL normalisation rule for that datasource.

Do you have an example of how this could be done with SPARQL 1.1?

> In addition, if anyone wants to suggest a way to do any other rule
> based normalisation I would be happy to extend the software to support
> it. I have always had RIF rules in the back of my head, but have not
> experimented with them yet. If anyone uses RIF rules in their work, it
> would be great to get some example code to guide a future extension to
> this software.

Did you consider using SPARQL Inference Notation (SPIN,
http://spinrdf.org/)? I don't think there is an implementation for Sesame
out there yet, though.

Cheers,
Matthias