RE: "molar" for concentration

Most DBMSs have the ability to define "domains".
One common solution to the problem you describe is
to define a domain called "units", which can be
expressed in a defining XML reference file using
an XML enumerated datatype, with each conceivable
kind of unit given one code.

For example, the enumerations might include grams,
miles, seconds and moles/liter (aka
LiquidConcentration).  The given XML suite of unit
declarations can then be referenced by many DBMSs,
and the value of the unit so specified in each
database row can then be a real number, or an
integer, or a fixed point number, or a date time,
or whatever you choose to represent each
enumerated unit as.

So the "unit" domain itself can be an integer, and
the specific value of the unit column for a given
table might be specified as the integer 731, or
whatever enumerated position is specified in the
XML reference structure to represent the unit
"moles/liter".  Other rows could be set to the
integer 13 to represent miles, etc.  Conversion
routines between miles, kilometers, fortnights,
seconds, or whatever domains are mutually
convertible.

That makes all DBs compatible which reference the
same XML specification as their domain
declaration, and allows each DB to use an integer
representation within each row based on two's
complement (nearly always the integer
representation chosen; I don't know of any 1's
complement DBMS integers in present day
technology, fortunately).

Since the retrieval of each column is in textual
form, it isn't important whether the unit
enumeration is in BCD or other kind of integer
representation - each DB will return query values
that are strings representing decimal integer
values.  A case statement can then switch to the
appropriate conversion routine, if its even needed
for your application.

That attached PDF file (my patent) describes other
ways of identifying variations in representations.

HTH,
-Rich

Sincerely,
Rich Cooper