Re: Quality Criteria for SKOS vocabularies

Christian
this is indeed good. some observations/recommendations:
item VQC7 is not clearly defined. Multiple relations between same uri's is not necessarily a problem unless you specify the problematic situation. The example given is redundant with the next item (VQC8) based on the SKOS model defining the skos:broader and skos:narrower as pairwise disjoint properties. Hence an OWL-2 reasoning can check this out for inconsistency.

other than that, I would suggest another quality metric that I use:
Weak Properties: properties that are not mapped to any of the annotation, hierarchic and semantic or mapping properties in defined by SKOS. that is, they state some fact about skos concepts, but not formally understood what kind of facts are they adding to the model? IMHO systematic differentiation between Terminological (terms and relationships between them), Taxonomic (hierarchical relations including set membership), and semantic relationships within the linked data is important for any vocabulary system including those that use skos for representation.

Another class of descriptive quality metrics that may be illustrative of the richness of the model would address the utilization and relative ratios/frequency of relations between terms (skos-xl allows this), relations between concepts and term (basically labels and definitions), and relations between concepts (semantic and hierarchies)...

Keep in touch,
Parsa

Parsa Mirhaji, MD, PhD