Re: BioRDF Telcon

Hi Michael,

mdmiller wrote:
> hi kei,
>
>> What do we mean by differentially expressed genes? One definition is
>> that differentially  expressed  genes are genes with significantly
>> different expression in two samples/conditions/experimental
>> factors/dimensions (e.g., treated vs. untreated, disease vs, normal,
>> time point1 vs. time point 2) of microarray experiments.
>
> yes, this was my meaning.
>
> this is to differentiate between a gene that is always expressed under
> normal conditions because it is part of an essential pathway that is
> always running, that gene is only interesting if its expression level
> changes--similarly for a normally unexpressed gene.

Thanks for confirming. A consensus definition (even it's broad) is
important to our gene list representation. There are a variety of
methods (e.g., statistical tests) that can be used to identify a list of
differentially expressed genes in two different groups. That's Scott's
point about the importance of capturing as part of the genelist context
what methods have been used for detecting differentially expressed
genes. I hope the use case can help convince the community the need/use
of a common vocabulary for describing such methods.

>> How to measure or infer gene expression (e.g., from mRNA) is a whole
>> complex question that may be beyond the scope of our use case.
>
> yes, which i think was scott's point in his reply.  in fact, for the
> BioRDF use case, initially at least, it is probably sufficient that
> the authors of the paper state that a gene is part of the significant
> gene list.
Just want to clarify that what I meant was that it might be beyond the
scope of our use case to accurately, comprehensively, and precisely
define what gene expression really  mean given the degree of complexity
involved.

Cheers,

-Kei