Re: Minutes for Scientific Discourse call

Hi all,

let me clarify. OBI is at release 1.0

1. EFO imports parts of OBI that we need for ArrayExpress, we will
continue to use EFO in ArrayExpress, as it has added terms and relations
between terms that exist nowhere else - cell types, to cell lines for
example. And it has some terms that are imported from e.g. the cell type
ontologu EFO is an application ontology and will persist as we need it
in our GUIs. You can see our paper on this here:

http://bioinformatics.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/btq099

2. Where we import terms from OBI - or any other ontology we retain
their namespace as recommended by OBI foundry. As more terms are in OBI
we will import them.

3. My colleague Jie Zheng is in the process of mapping MO to OBI and
when this is complete we will import more terms from OBI into EFO, but
EFO will still be used for the foreseeable future by ArrayExpress. You
can think of EFO as an application ontology, or view on OBI and many
other ontologies.

4. Where ontology terms imported into EFO have an authoritative source
e.g. Chebi we use their namespace and where they are from non
authoritative sources, for example there is no obo foundry ontology and
many competing ontologies we assign our own ids and will continue to do so

Happy to answer any questions.

best regards

Helen