Re: When does a document acquire (web) semantics?

Chime,

Agreed.

Another question is whether any particular RDF representation *should* carry any authority.
To take the most trivial and unproblematic case, suppose the author is just plain unskilled at rendering his meaning as triples. Maybe his RDF is junk. Maybe we should ignore it.

You might say that this is just the same as the situation where a particular doctor doesn't speak English very well, and issues a garbled report -- and that's a familiar and unproblematic situation.

I'd argue it's different. I'd say it's more akin to the situation where a doctor issues a report, then is asked to translate his own report into another language that he doesn't speak very well. What do you do with his translation -- do you give it any authority?

John