Re: When does a document acquire (web) semantics?

From: Danny Ayers <danny.ayers@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 00:08:38 +0100
To: Peter Ansell <ansell.peter@gmail.com>
Cc: Jim McCusker <mccusker@gmail.com>, John Madden <john.madden@duke.edu>, w3c semweb HCLS <public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org>, Oliver Ruebenacker <curoli@gmail.com>
Peter, I agree with 99% of what you said but this bit bothers me a bit:

> People regularly misinterpret medical documents currently by examining
> them without the proper medical training. Adding superclasses etc or
> deleting elements as they feel necessary is just formalising the
> process where normal people interpret advice given by medically
> trained people.

Surely the point of what we do (or maybe just should do) with online
data is to minimise the risk of misinterpretation?
Classic medic stuff says the doctor isn't always right, but the
patient usually doesn't have a clue so it's based on trust. Trust is
good, but really (for the person on the receiving end) I'd rather see
stuff based on facts.

Cheers,
Danny.