Re: When does a document acquire (web) semantics?

I agree it was a great telcon today. I was glad to be on it.

And I love this conversation too.

Ya know what I mean?  Wink Wink?
Does anyone ever know what the other means?  Whew.

Allow me to quote one of the great minds:

"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are
not."
— Albert Einstein

It's only in practice (i.e. not when the query is run, but when an
action is taken based on that query, or that instantiation) that the
semantics become realized.

I guess that means that when the semantic binding occurs, it's already
too late to do anything about it, but that we should do the best we
can, in terms of "contingency encoding" (a term I think I just made
up) before that.

Cheers,

Joanne

On Feb 1, 2010, at 2:46 PM, Pat Hayes wrote:

> On Feb 1, 2010, at 1:26 PM, Mark Wilkinson wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 01 Feb 2010 11:12:35 -0800, Solbrig, Harold R. <Solbrig.Harold@mayo.edu
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> If, however, you wish to *communicate* with other folks about,
>>> say, science, it would be highly desirable to overlay a *shared*
>>> ontology-of-choice (vs. personal) that, perhaps, would be focused
>>> on shared knowledge about the real world.
>>

>> If such a thing exists, sure :-)
>
> If it doesn't, I wonder what all these strange character strings
> that keep arriving in my mailbox mean.

LOL!