Re: Wait a sec...What about the HL7 RIM An Universal Exchange Language

Good discussion on this thread...And timely...since more advanced
business process orchestrations for web services and other internet
technologies are penetrating the market. This gives an opportunity for
newer implementation technologies like OWL and RDF to enhance the
execution of business processes over the Internet.

On model-based development and its relationship to the HL7
RIM...Remember that the RIM is not expressed at its core as XML. The HL7
RIM is based at its core on two symbols, one for physical entities and
one for the processes or activities that modify physical entities or
capture the state of physical entities at a given point at time. The use
of these two symbols in the HL7 RIM is especially valuable in the modern
IT environment, which focuses on more easily manipulating business
processes for cost and quality improvement and on increasing
accountability for people's actions.

How the values in a given instance are associated with these two symbols
in a particular implementation, whether the rather old-fashioned XML ITS
of CDA and V3 messages or more modern XML implementations like RDF or
OWL, or better implementations than RDF and OWL can support in the
future are really just features of the decade we work in...These two
symbols in the RIM trace back to to 8000 BC. Whatever we call them,
under what language name we call them, won't change the world of
physical entities and processes that we are representing.

So to make this discussion valuable, we should be discussing how to make
the transition from older XML ITS to more modern XML ITS(s), optimized
for the business processes they are intended to support. We need to
continue to improve the ability for implementation technology to support
model-based technology. But we shouldn't get confused by assuming that
the implementation technology is the same thing as the model, as I've
seen in some of the discussion on this thread regarding the core HL7 model.

Dan