From: Rémy Choquet [remy.choquet@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 15, 2010 1:18 AM
To: public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org
Subject: Re: An Universal Exchange Language

When I see this:

"Data Aggregation “Middleware”
An important feature of today’s environment is that there is relatively little standardization in the health
data captured and stored by different providers of healthcare services. Although a great deal of data
already exist in the form of claims data, prescribing information, lab and imaging results, and clinical
records, much of this data is trapped in different, incompatible databases. The last few years have seen
the emergence of new middleware products designed to extract data from disparate legacy systems
and put them in a compatible format. Examples include products and companies such as dbMotion,
ICA CareAlign, Medicity MediTrust, Microsoft Amalga, Oracle HTB, and Orion Health. These technologies
can play a role in making the transition from the current environment with little interoperability and
document­based data exchange to an environment where data can be easily accessed and queried and
assembled for a broad variety of uses."

I think its clear no one from semantic web was part of that group...

But if we add up the requirements they have between splitting data into atomic elements (RDF) and integration for sharing data across incompatible databases (linked data), the semantic web already provides mechanisms and methods to provide them with a response...

We can't put aside HL7/CDA as it has been stated, simply because part of the industry is already migrating, but more importantly, a considerable effort for modeling the clinical world as been done so far. HL7 could be wrapped up into semantic web technologies instead.

Best.

Rémy Choquet
iNSERM - Knowledge Engineering in HealthCare, France