Re: [hcls] Updated wiki page for HCLS Knowledge Base

Matthias Samwald wrote:
> Hi Egon,
>
>> Linked Data focuses on crawling the web. At least, that's the
>> impression I have... yet, a single store to query is indeed much more
>> convenient... it's sort of contradicting:
>
> I don't find that contradicting. Having URIs that resolve to something
> useful is practical. Having a SPARQL endpoint that I can quickly visit
> and query is practical. Having both opens up more possibilities than
> having either alone, and is even more practical. Insisting that we get
> rid of all centralized repositories to demonstrate everyone how
> web-centric we are, however, is not rational. To use an analogy: we
> learned to ride our bike, there is no need to constantly show off to
> everyone that we can even do it without hands.
Remember, you can put HTTP URIs in front of SPARQL endpoints. This is
what Linked Data Servers are really about e.g., Virtuoso's in-built
Linked Data Deployment feature  [1] or Pubby [2]. Thus, the owner/hoster
of an RDF data set doesn't have to be the same entity that mints all the
HTTP URIs that dereference to data in the Quad Store.

Links

1.
http://www.openlinksw.com/virtuoso/Whitepapers/html/vdld_html/VirtDeployingLinkedDataGuide.html
2. http://www4.wiwiss.fu-berlin.de/pubby/