Re: blog: semantic dissonance in uniprot

     Hello Bijan, All,

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 12:20 PM, Bijan Parsia <bparsia@cs.man.ac.uk> wrote:
> On 30 Mar 2009, at 17:13, Oliver Ruebenacker wrote:
>>  A class may not be instantiated in every single use, but it is
>> intended to be instantiated in some cases. To dispute that, you would
>> have to give me an example of a class that is never instantiated.

> Any NCI Thesaurus class.

  Not an ontology.

> NCI Thesarus is a controlled vocabularies generated by an ontology. This is
> a standard use of ontologies. I guess I should be surprised that you don't
> know that, but it turns out I'm not!

  Irrelevant point. You can use an ontology to create toilet paper,
but that does not mean that toilet paper is an ontology.

     Take care
     Oliver

--
Oliver Ruebenacker, Computational Cell Biologist
BioPAX Integration at Virtual Cell (http://vcell.org/biopax)