Re: Weak semantic links [was: semantic dissonance in uniprot]

John --

You wrote...

*The second problem, I think, could only be helped by keeping these
assertions "inside-the-fence" of the community that had any use for them.
But this is a problem, because the semantic web isn't supposed to have any
fences, i.e. "anybody can say anything about anything". What to do?*

What to do is -- add two semantic dimensions to the current
tagged-data-centric approach.

Sorry if that sounds stark.  Here's what it's intended to mean.

The problem you describe, and several others, can at least be mitigated, and
maybe solved by the following approach.  The idea is that *three kinds* of
semantics can be made to work together in one reasoning system.  They are

*Semantics 1:*  Data semantics.  Tagged RDF and similar data

*Semantics 2:*  A model theory or similar saying what it should in principle
be possible to derive from any set of assertions and axioms.

*Semantics3:*  The meaning of open vocabulary English sentences, and how
such sentences can be combined to give meaning to a new sentence.

Bringing Semantics 1,2, and 3 together in one system has a nice side effect
-- the system can generate step-by-step English explanations of any results
that it finds.

So, when you write a 'weak' semantic link in executable English, you say so
with warning phrases such as

 *according to the British Medical Journal ...., however this is disputed by
the AMA*

If the reasoning that leads to a result uses this weak semantic link, then
the link shows up in the English explanation of the result.

It's not a perfect solution to the semantic web problem that you pose, but
it does go a long way to closing the semantic loop between authors of (weak)
semantic links and people who use the links -- that is, towards removing the
need for fences on the semantic web.

There's a system with some examples online at the site below that
illustrates the approach.  there's also an overview paper [1].

Apologies if you have seen this before, and thanks for comments.

                                                    -- Adrian

[1]
www.reengineeringllc.com/A_Wiki_for_Business_Rules_in_Open_Vocabulary_Executable_English.pdf

Internet Business Logic
A Wiki and SOA Endpoint for Executable Open Vocabulary English over SQL and
RDF
Online at www.reengineeringllc.com    Shared use is *free*

Adrian Walker
Reengineering