Re: blog: semantic dissonance in uniprot

Pat,

>> So what would you say about an rdf:property called, say, "http://www.example.com/intuit#similarTo
>> " that could be used simply to post a record that somebody intuited
>> a "similarity" between two things?
>
> Well, what's wrong with seeAlso? Thats pretty much what we intended
> it for.

Good point. Or I was also thinking about skos:related.

>> It would have little utility for inferencing, unless one were to
>> write a custom application (i.e. not OWL) to do so. But it might
>> have utility as a semantic web "bookmark" for relationships that
>> could be interesting candidates for future formalization.
>
> I like this 'bookmark' idea, yes. But let me run with it a little.
> After reading some of these posts, the issue seems to be a desire to
> have a topic-specific cross-referencing link. There are all these
> various lists and tables and KBs about proteins, and its important
> that they cross-refer very richly and densely, but some of them are
> just text and some are machine-readable, and its not at all clear
> that they are based on the same underlying conceptual model of what
> a protein really is, and certainly not the same formal ontology of
> proteins; so asserting sameAs is dangerously strong, whereas seeAlso
> is just, well see also, not saying that its the same _protein_ being
> talked about. Hence, I think, the call for this in-between kind of
> link.

Yes, I think you've nailed it. And the main use case I can think of
for this is supporting web communities that are in the business of
evolving models. For example, the SWAN-SIOC project in HCLS, where the
idea is to provide an environment where a community can discuss/argue
about/refine hypotheses. People seem to want very badly to be able to
make "murky" and tentative statements, that they would like to be able
to take back at a later point (which is sort of what a hypothesis is).

You could imagine working on some kind of quasi-logical platform that
supported things like fuzziness and non-monotonicity and so forth, but
maybe that's not necessary. A lot of times, people just want to create
such "links" purely for human consumption.

> So, here's how I'd do this. Introduce a property linking a protein
> to  something (which might be anything from a piece of text to a
> protein) called sameProteinAs. Its reflexive and transitive but
> might not be symmetric (though it probably is when the value is
> itself a protein). It is NOT substitutive. It means, roughly, that
> its value either is, or has as its main topic, the same protein as
> the argument. It is a mixture of sameAs restricted to proteins and
> seeAlso restricted to cases where the topic is a single protein.

The "something" to which you link could even just be a blank node,
Basically, if I understand you correctly, it's just a hypothetical
tertium quid, that you might later abandon or declare to be devoid of
any useful meaning. Or perhaps better, it's a collection that collects
things that somebody thought were "similar" to each other. So if it's
a class or set, it's a set whose intension is defined by some human
opinion, not a class that makes any claim on being like a natural kind.

> This is an informal semantics, of course, but it might be enough for
> the case in hand, and its easy to see how external machinery could
> utilize it, e.g. you could set a scraper loose on text looking for
> protein names. In rare cases, you might have a very guarded rule to
> the effect that sameProteinAs implies sameAs, for limited use.

Again, I like this!! I think it's possible that some small group of
like-minded people might, in limited circumstances, be able to agree
on what similarity meant to them, and if they could, then they could
presumably generate some inferences from that, which were valuable to
them.

> This idea is quite general-purpose, and what would be nice, but
> might not be OWL-kosher, would be to have a connection between this
> property and the class of actual Proteins in a chemistry ontology,
> along the lines of 'this linking property is relevant to things in
> this class', because that could also be used to connect, say,
> sameReagentAs to Reagents, and so on. But maybe this getting too
> cute, as proteins do seem to be a unique case.
>
> Does this make sense?

It makes sense to me! I agree that it's not OWL. But it seems to serve
a need.