Re: blog: semantic dissonance in uniprot

Pat Hayes <phayes@ihmc.us> writes:
>> Besides which, the issue being discussed here is one of equality. When
>> are two proteins the same protein?
>
> TWO proteins are never the same protein. Two mangelwurzels are never the same
> mangelwurzel, either. What 'same' means, is that there is ONE  thing with two
> names. Being the same as is never a relationship  between two different
> things.

This is obvious; the question is about types of proteins. A statement
like: "every protein molecule in the world is different from every other
protein molecule" is true, but more or less totally useless.

We are talking about proteins not protein molecules; if I give you a
solution of protein molecules, all the same, and you split it into two
halves, do you now suddenly have two proteins?

Protein is a mass term. You would agree that two glasses of water both
hold the same substance; just so for protein. The question is, then,
when are two samples of protein, samples of the same protein. A
secondary question is, how do we represent this computationally.

We are going around in circles here; I think that I have said enough.

Phil