Re: blog: semantic dissonance in uniprot

Michel_Dumontier wrote:
>> I just want to focus on the essence of my comments to Michel and Peter
>> who have issues with the use of 303 redirection to achieve separation
>> of
>> datum identity from descriptive representation, when using a
>>
> particular
>
>> URI scheme.
>>
>> I am simply interested in explaining to them what this is trying to
>> achieve since it remains a strange point of contention.  I use the
>>
> word
>
>> "strange" because I believe that the mechanics of the process  are
>> obscuring the fundamental concept in play: Object Identity.
>>

> And I'm trying to explain that there is no pragmatic reason to make
> explicit the distinction between a biomolecule (and what we know about
> it) and a database record (and what we know about the biomolecule)
> unless they are actually different.  It just complicates things in a
> wholly unnecessary way. Your talk of identity does not address this
> problem. Increasing the complexity of the model, without citing its
> benefits (and acknowledging its disadvantages) will certainly not
> convince me. Yet, as others have noted, we are not facing a problem
> whose solution is this record/entity distinction.
>
> That being said, it may surprise you that I've been a proponent giving
> pointers to documents where description may vary (for example
> http://ontology.dumontierlab.com/Protein). But if you're just gonna
> redirect me to your one defining document (from a database no less)
> where you can attach all the document metadata you want anyways - why
> bother! LOL.
>
> -=Michel=-

Michel,

I think these matters will all be clearer (either way) as the Linked
Data mesh expands.

I really responded to the questioning of the use of 303s and simply
tried to explain its purpose.

As long as we aren't conflating an entity with an artifact that
describes it, then there isn't an issue. Should this condition arise,
and I have access to the data in question, I will be able to make a
simpler demonstration of my point :-)

I anticipate a complete reload of Bio2Rdf sometime next week on our
side, once Francois gives the go-ahead.

Kingsley

--

Regards,