Re: blog: semantic dissonance in uniprot

Bijan,
I have a (possibly) naive question, but one that comes up in the context of
a digital record/rep of the protein :

Are OWL ontologies supposed to be applied to only digital representations of
real world things, or do some believe they actually can be applied to the
real-world things "even when no record of the object exists in the digital
space"?

That is, if one defines a bunch of formal assertions on classes (based on
real-world evidence/experience), do these work solely on digital KR and data
forms, or do they go beyond that? I guess it may matter whether the "digital
world" is being identified with the "conceptual world" of the mind... and
that may be opening more cans of worms...

What I'm getting at is that if the above question is true (ontologies only
for digital forms), than the only things we can define ontologies for are
the records of things; hence why talk about explicit record types if
everything relevant is already a digital-record?

In addition, I also don't see references to any object being fundamentally
different to a digital record (san descriptive triples perhaps)... can
someone provide me with a counter example?

cheers,
Eric