Re: blog: semantic dissonance in uniprot

     Hello, All,

  We just started a discussion on identifying compounds at the last
meeting of the BioPAX OBO Workgroup and will continue at the next
meeting, to which any one interested is invited. We meet both locally
and virtually. Either stop by at 346 Stata MIT or log into Skype and
ask a participant (e.g. me) to invite you to text and voice chat. Next
meeting is this week, Tuesday, 4pm to 6pm EST.

  Action item for next meeting: Getting familiar with PRO.

  The topic lies at the center of the pathway community and has been
subject to bitter battles. Usually, a pathway is defined in terms of
connected smaller processes which are defined in terms of
participating compounds and their roles. Connected means that a
participant of process A is the same as (owl:sameAs?) a participant in
process B. As important as knowing what is connected is knowing what
is disjoint (owl:disjointWith?). Inevitably, there is tension between
simplicity and rigour, between those who want to make it easy to stuff
data into databases and those who demand stricter criteria to make
pulling the data out again more useful. The community spans all the
way from the experimenter to the modeller to the drug designer, from
the qualitative to the quantitative, the conceptual to the precise.

     Take care
     Oliver

--
Oliver Ruebenacker, Computational Cell Biologist
BioPAX Integration at Virtual Cell (http://vcell.org/biopax)