RE: blog: semantic dissonance in uniprot

Eric and friends,

 I'm very sympathetic to the simplifying assumption of not distinguishing between a record and the molecular entity it represents, but there are some important considerations. First, we need to be cautious in the transformation of recorded facts (as they appear in these database records) to class restrictions on biomolecules in logic-based (e.g. OWL) ontologies. Initially, we might say that a class biomolecules share a particular molecular structure (or biopolymer sequence), but assertions of role, function, PTMs, and involvement in biological process (among others) are contextual or temporally qualified and as such it may not be appropriate to  generalize to all instances. For example, some protein records list all of the _known_ PTMs .. hardly the basis to generalize that all instances will also have those PTMs at those positions at all (or any!) time. This is clearly a major knowledge representation challenge, in which we should engage in different approaches to improve our representation. Class-based representations are necessary as there is a need to refer to specific real world instances, whether they be collections of molecules in a test tube, electron micrographs that show individual macromolecular complexes or atomic force microscopes that manipulate them. In the meantime,  we'll probably continue to model database records as instances of their corresponding entity.

 There is no doubt that it is challenging to devise a consistent naming scheme - and nearly each member of the steering group has worked out some way to do this (e.g. [1][2]). If the sharednames group wants to recommend an consensual approach on the _syntax_ of any given name, with appropriate rationale, then it's possible that more people will use it as a guiding principle. However, attempts to _control_ the naming process will result in an undoubtedly unreceptive audience. Will a registry of names prevent people from making similar or identical (literal) names?  no. Establishing a self-registry of namespaces like bio2rdf [3] or lsrn.org is a more worthy goal. I, like several others, am interested to see how the committee will "make sure that its URIs ... resolve to information that is useful". I expect that this will be challenging to establish utility, particularly in the context of a term contained in an expressive ontology.

 I applaud efforts to publish data in an open and linked manner. But somewhat disconcerting is that I'm (controversially) sure we'll find ourselves in the awkward position that there will be too much meaningless linked data, in which we'll have to filter useful, less useful, to identical, useless or worse, misguiding or erroneous. It's not hard to imagine this happening. Applying the correct semantics to create meaningful relations is of fundamental importance for answering questions about our collective knowledge. Linking concepts or data with clearly defined semantic links (e.g. SKOS, RO, OWL) is  indeed useful, and its utility goes beyond Linked Data. Eric's appeal, that we should be careful to (meaningfully) link to third party über- URIs, resonates for the same reason that you may want to say something about an entity that other people won't necessarily agree with. The truth is that we all have different perceptions of reality, and our knowledge about the world is in constant flux. We should be able to express our knowledge to our degree of satisfaction. In a competitive, distributed environment that is the web, people will choose terms and ontologies that best agrees with their perception and with their requirements. As a nascent scientific community, so early in the game of designing accurate, expressive and meaningful ontologies, we should encourage new ideas and ensure competition among them.

-=Michel=-

http://dumontierlab.com

[1] http://bio2rdf.wiki.sourceforge.net/Banff+Manifesto

[2] http://sw.neurocommons.org/2007/uri-explanation.html