Re: Introduction(s) to HCLS IG

Hi all,
I am Lena and am currently a graduate student at the University of Texas MD
Anderson Cancer Center. My advisor, Jonas Almeida, who heads the Integrative
Bioinformatics Laboratory at MDAnderson was the one who initially got me
interested in using RDF and  SPARQL to integrate biomedical and molecular
data. The main focus of my work has been on exposing biomedical data to the
Semantic Web (as SPARQL endpoints) without the conversion of relational
databases to RDF (by serializing the queries).

We have developed a prototype of an application, we call it S3DB (Simple
Sloppy Semantic Database, www.s3db.org), first published in 2006 in Nature
Biotechnology (
http://www.nature.com/nbt/journal/v24/n9/abs/nbt0906-1070.html) and 2008 in
PLOS One (
http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0002946). S3DB
is a management model for integrative bioinformatics where the user is part
of the ontology. By that I mean that individual users can be granted access
to individual RDF resources rather than at the point of access.

Best
Lena