Re: SNOMED CT

From: John Madden <john.madden@me.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 15:45:48 -0500
Cc: Khaled Khelif <khaled.khelif@sophia.inria.fr>
To: w3c semweb HCLS <public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org>

You can follow Helen's link from an earlier post. Also in a
forthcoming release of SNOMED CT a script will be included to convert
SNOMED in a mechanical way into OWL syntax.

Unfortunately, a mechanical translation of SNOMED CT into OWL may not
help you much, depending on your application. SNOMED CT is not
designed with the  same logical expressivity of OWL nor with the same
formal semantics, and therefore the result of a translation is not apt
to be useful without additional modeling or remodeling. I generally
suggest people who want to use OWL for a particular application create
their own OWL ontology and map to SNOMED CT for what it may add.

Also, I see you are in France, which is not a member of the IHTSDO (http://www.ihtsdo.org
). If you wish to use SNOMED CT, you must look into obtaining a license.

John