OWL2 - Last Call

From: M. Scott Marshall <marshall@science.uva.nl>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 23:12:19 +0100
To: W3C HCLSIG hcls <public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org>
After receiving some feedback about the difficulty of evaluating the OWL
2 specifications outside of an application, I asked Christine Golbreich
if this Draft was the latest version because I think that it can help to
motivate some of the new features:

Please, take a look at the OWL 2 documents (see also Susie's previous
mail) and pass your comments on before Jan. 23! Comments should go to
the <public-owl-comments@w3.org> mailing list, and the last call comment
period expires on January 23rd. Comments can also be about things you
like. :)

BTW some of you will remember Christine Golbreich from our last F2F
where she gave us a presentation on OWL 2 with special emphasis on HCLS
issues (link below).

attached mail follows:

2009/1/16 M. Scott Marshall <marshall@science.uva.nl>

> Hello Christine,
> I am planning to forward the link below to the HCLS mailing list to
> encourage people to look at the OWL2 specifications and provide feedback.
> The problem that I've heard until now is that most HCLS people understand
> OWL2 only when it is applied (not from a specification). Is this the latest
> version? I think that it would help many to 'frame' what they see in the
> specs.
> Christine Golbreich wrote:
>> http://www.w3.org/2007/OWL/wiki/RequirementsDraft
> Best,
> Scott
> --
> M. Scott Marshall
> tel. +31 (0) 20 525 7522
> http://staff.science.uva.nl/~marshall
> http://adaptivedisclosure.org

Hello Scott

Thank you very much for sending an email around encouraging some HCLS people
to send us comments about OWL 2.
Several of  the working drafts (see below) are now at last call -- for those
who are not familiar with W3C, this is the point at which  the working group
declares that they have internal agreement on the  design and throw it open
to public comment.

Regarding your point and question about the address of the last version  :
  for those people who would like to have a first overview of OWL 2 from an
applied view before looking at the spec, they may look at the "New Features
and Rationale" Working Draft document (it has been renamed) published
Now this document has been voted by the WG to become a Recommendation and is
a Recommendation-Track document. Its last version is available on the Wiki

It would be very helpful if HCLS interested parties can make some comment on
OWL 2, even if it is only to say that they are interested by OWL 2 !

and the last call comment period expires on January 23rd.

OWL Last Call working drafts:

    1. Structural Specification and Functional-Style Syntax
    2. Direct Semantics
    3. Conformance and Test Cases
    4. Mapping to RDF Graphs
    5. XML Serialization
    6. Profiles

Other OWL working drafts:

    7. RDF-Based Semantics
    8. Quick Reference Guide
    9. New Features and Rationale
   10. Manchester Syntax
   11. rdf:text: A Datatype for Internationalized Text