  • From: Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2009 11:15:23 -0500
  • Subject: ESTA travel authorization (for travel to the U.S.)
  • To: w3t@w3.org, chairs@w3.org
Starting next week, travelers to the U.S. will have to either get a visa
or use a US Gov't website to get advance approval.  Just coming from a
"visa waiver country" is no longer good enough.  I hear the website
works pretty well, so the main thing is to make sure folks know to use
it.  We should probably remind everyone coming to meetings in the
U.S. about this, for the next year or so.

The information site:
        http://www.cbp.gov/esta

... which links to the actual (secure) process site:
        https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/

An example reminder I sent out:
        http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rif-wg/2009Jan/0018.html

Note that a web search of ESTA may lead you to something like "esta.us"
which looks official, but is really a private company trying to charge
you money for a service that (I suspect) is the same as the free
government-provided service.

     -- Sandro