Re: drug side effects

I have also started to convert SIDER into aTags, but our two conversions
will be complementary. What I am doing is mapping the information to the OBO
disease ontology and to DBpedia (for drug names), and reusing OBO and
DBpedia URIs directly. The conversion will be lossy when no matches are
found in these resources, but it will be bound more tightly to OBO and
DBpedia.

The STITCH ids for chemicals seem to be equivalent to Pubchem in all cases I
checked. Are there deviations?

By the way, some time back I also found two other datasets about drug side
effects / pharmacovigilance data that could be used for conversions.

Maximum Recommended Therapeutic Dose (MRTD) Database
http://www.fda.gov/Cder/Offices/OPS_IO/MRTD.htm

Adverse Event Reporting System (AERS) Statistics
http://www.fda.gov/cder/aers/extract.htm

I will try to analyze those to see if they are worthwhile candidates for
conversion. The AERS data is a bit complicated, and converting only some of
the data might suffice.

Adverse events seem to be generally identified with terms from the MedDra
dictionary (http://www.meddramsso.com), which is proprietary. I find this a
bit irritating -- the entry barriers for institutions to create reports
about adverse events should be as low as possible, which is not really
helped by locking away the standard dictionary for codifying adverse
events...

Cheers,
Matthias Samwald

DERI Galway, Ireland
http://deri.ie/

Konrad Lorenz Institute for Evolution & Cognition Research, Austria
http://kli.ac.at/