Re: An application of the Semantic Web for finding alternative drug applications

Ligand binding to receptors is a key step in the regulation of cellular
function by neurotransmitters, ion channels, and many drugs.
Accordingly, this event in ligand action is important for understanding
neurological diseases (e.g., Alzheimer Disease) and designing new drugs
for treating those diseases. We started looking into this in our pilot
BrainPharm project. In addition, we have developed a pilot web
application initially called "Entrez Neuron" that integrates information
across multiple neuroscience databases/ontologies. Among these databases
is PDSP (http://pdsp.med.unc.edu/indexR.html) which includes
ligand-receptor-binding information (e.g., Diazepam binds to GABA
receptor). It would be useful to add protein structure information from
PDB. This will also allow the creation of more scientific use cases.

Cheers,

-Kei