Re: An application of the Semantic Web for finding alternative drug applications

Amit,
There are a large class of data discovery problems that cannot be solved via
(SPARQL) query or even inferencing, simply because we don't know what
precise questions to ask in advance, though we may already have enough
evidence at hand (stored).

These kinds of problems (limited associative models) lend themselves more to
applications of large-scale statistical mining and bayesian modeling...
However, the latter tools are usually applied when one is looking at 1-4
parameters at a time (e.g., incidence of a disease is dependent on genetic
factors, age, and diet). Now with the possibility of having hundreds of such
different attributes available semantically, statistical approaches will
have to be augmented greatly.

SPARQL is an essential component for accessing/constraining SW data, but by
itself it is insufficient for the discovery of new associations and
mechanisms in whole biological systems. Many of the major
challenges within pharma R&D are precisely of this type!

cheers,
Eric