: KB note

From: Huajun Chen@Zhejiang University <Chen@Zhejiang>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 13:59:50 +0800
To: "'Matthias Samwald'" <samwald@gmx.at>, <public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org>
Cc: <kc28@email.med.yale.edu>, "'Tim Clark'" <twclark@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu>

Another challenge is cross-language data integration, which is actually a
job that ontology should do.

Best wishes, huajun

-----ʼԭ-----
: public-semweb-lifesci-request@w3.org
[mailto:public-semweb-lifesci-request@w3.org]  Matthias Samwald
ʱ: 2008526 21:22
ռ: kc28@email.med.yale.edu; Tim Clark
: M. Scott Marshall; public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org
: Re: KB note

> Speaking of national boundaries, I wonder if alternative medicine (e.g.,
> herbal
> medicine) would also be of interest to this community. For example,
> Huperzine
> is a drug derived from the herb Huperzia serrata. I also wonder if there
> are
> hypotheses regarding the study of herbs in the possible treatment of
> neurological diseases.

I would also be very motivated to help in this kind of research.
Specifically, Huperzine A would be a very interesting use-case for our
developments. It is a herbal compound with a history in folk medicine and is

available OTC in most countries, yet it rivals the effectiveness of
currently leading Alzheimer medications such as Tacrine. It also has a dual
mode of action that does not only involve acetylcholinesterase inhibition,
but also modulation of the NMDA receptor. The implications of this for the
treatment of Alzheimer's are still a rather hot topic.

The integration of knowledge from traditional medicine, plant
taxonomy/phylogeny/biochemistry and receptor binding databases (PDSP Ki
database, IUPHAR) could lead to the identification of some extremely novel
therapeutic strategies. Finding candidate molecules in such a way might be
much more effective than weeding through libraries of compounds generated by

combinatorial synthesis etc. The challenge lies in the integration of some
very heterogenous datasets that come from vastly different disciplines,
which is exactly the field of research where Semantic Web technologies are
most effective.

I guess the major problem for this kind of research is that there are no
funding programmes that span China, the US and Asia...

Cheers,
Matthias Samwald

DERI Galway, Ireland // Semantic Web Company, Austria
http://www.deri.ie/
http://www.semantic-web.at/