Re: semantic web and user-driven healthcare movement

Thanks AJ and Emmanuelle,

I would prefer the term 'user driven health care' where both patient and
health professional users of background and foreground health information
form a collaborative healing network (along with other stakeholders and
actors) toward achieving the best possible outcomes for a given individual
case at hand.

One of the important contributions of user driven health care is that it
moves beyond the disease focused paternalistic approach of traditional
medicine and other than helping to bring all individual players in health
care under one umbrella it looks at mutiple possible dimensions affecting a
patient (of which aggregated statistical evidence is just one part) that may
have a bearing on his/her disease.

It utilises a recent but tested tool in clinical problem solving, that of
case based reasoning:

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=544898

I agree these are exciting times. At the moment more than automated
information (that is the promise of the semantic web) we need to explore and
develop newer synthesis in human learning approaches to healthcare.

I can share some material in press on 'user driven health care' and our
initial efforts with Intel Malaysia in that direction with those of you who
would wish to know more.

rakesh

Rakesh Biswas MD
Professor,