Re: SenseLab note: some updates

Chris Mungall wrote:

> On May 15, 2008, at 4:39 PM, Kei Cheung wrote:
>

>> Hi Vipul,
>>
>> Take the snomed term "Alzheimer's disease" (AD), for example. One
>> axis may be used to indicate the progression of the disease. For
>> example, http://www.memorystudy.org/alzheimers_stages.htm lists 7
>> stages of Alzheimer's disease: no memory loss symptom, very mild,
>> mild, moderate, moderately severe, severe, and very severe.
>>
>> In gene ontology (GO), "memory" (or "learning") is a term under
>> biological process, one may want to give it a modifier such as
>> "impaired" if we want to use GO in combination with some modifier
>> ontology to describe an AD phenotype (e.g., "impaired memory").
>

> In fact both pre- and post- coordinated description of phenotypes
> such as "impaired memory" are used. PATO is typically used as the
> "modifier" ontology (actually an ontology of qualities and
> dispositions). The mammalian phenotype ontology used implicitly pre-
> coordinated terms, other groups post-coordinate using PATO + other
> OBO ontologies. We have retrospectively gone back to the mammalian
> phenotype ontology and attached class expressions defining their
> terms to make these approaches comparable. Still very much a work in
> progess, see:
>
> http://www.bioontology.org/wiki/index.php/PATO:Pre_vs_Post_Coordinating

Thanks for pointing to PATO describing pre- and post-coordination. It
sounds like one can potentially find the same phenotype in pre- and
post-coordinated ontologies. Is there an issue of redundancy?

Also, I noticed in the document to which you pointed the following: "A
phenotype ontology should be orthogonal to an ontology of molecular
function." For the AD phenotype "impaired memory", researchers may want
to explore to understand the underlying molecular mechanism. For
example, there is a "synaptic plasticity and memory" hypothesis studying
the relationship between synaptic plasticity and memory. In GO, there is
a term called "regulation of synaptic activity", such a biological
process and/or its subclasses may be used to annotate at least partly
the phenotype "impaired memory" ...