Re: The W3C mailing lists will be limited to interest group participants.

Orri Erling wrote:

> As providers of RDF database software, also for the life sciences community,
> we find this list a useful resource for maintaining a feel for the use cases
> and requirements as they emerge.  I would be in favor of leaving this list
> open to the public.

A model that has proved successful for almost all the other W3C mailing
lists created around Semantic Web (even member-only groups) work is:
publically readable lists, publically postable (technically at least),
and then tweakable social conventions governing quite how many
non-group-member posts are acceptable. This was adequate for the
RDFCore, OWL, and other groups. A 'goldfish bowl' metaphor captures the
'working in public view' part, but I think being publically postable too
has proven both important and valuable. The degree to which non-members
are encouraged to post and contribute can then be left to the chairs,
but the occasional input at least from others is not ruled out
mechnically (ie. by the list admin settings).

As a point of comparison, the original RDF Model & Syntax, and RDF
Schema WGs (1997-9) worked on secret mailing lists with no public
participation or visibility beyond periodic working draft publications.
That style of WG is I think quite reasonably considered obsolete; we've
done much better since by being more open...

cheers,

Dan

(SW Interest Group chair)

--