Re: URI note snapshot available

From: Xiaoshu Wang <wangxiao@musc.edu>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 21:05:42 +0100
To: Mark Wilkinson <markw@illuminae.com>
CC: "Eric Prud'hommeaux" <eric@w3.org>, Jonathan Rees <jar@creativecommons.org>, public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org

Mark Wilkinson wrote:
> "A user who places the identifier in the location bar of a web browser
> should get back useful information about the identified concept or
> object."
> Why?  It seems an awfully steep barrier-to-entry to have *all* URI's
> resolve to a web page as well as to whatever the URI actually
> represents, especially when my agent can't read...
Well, first, if a URI is not resolved something, the purpose of using
web is lost. Second, a URI is not resolved to a "web page," rather it is
resolved to a representation, which can happen to be an HTML document (a
web page, I guess) of the resource that the URI denotes.  Third, an
agent may not read "natural language" but should be able to read
"something", such as XML or RDF or even a binary file, yes?  This is
what Jonathan's document intends to say - "useful information".