Re: An argument for bridging information models and ontologies at the syntactic level

Hi Alan,

Your points are well made regarding the provenance of information and
the information itself.

I captured this "assertion" as a point upon which to comment:

"My main contention is that the things that we put in medical records
represent statements "ascribing" (or "not ascribing") characteristics
and relationships to patients - i.e.
we are saying that the patient "_has_ a white count = 10,000" or that
the patient "_has_ Diabetes".  (For diabetes we may also say that the
patient "_does_not_have_ diabetes)..."

If we use your term "ascribing" to the more formal terms "proposition"
(as statement which may or may not be true) and "assertion" (a
proposition which is believed to be true), we can then apply the
principles of formal analysis of propositions to "assertions" and other
"propositions" found in the medical record. A differential diagnosis is
a list of propositions; the result of a lab test in a medical record is
normally an assertion. Of course, at the point where the author believes
that one item in a differential diagnosis is "true," the proposition
also takes on the characteristics of an assertion, just like the reult
of the lab test.

Your point on provenence is a good one: "In each case there is a degree
of inference - indicated by the fact that most information has to be
"approved" before it gets into the record." In other words, we may make
many assertions about patients in everyday speech, but only some
assertions are allowed to be recorded in a medical record.

Teasing out these various stages in the evolution of how we come to
think, speak, and record what we discover about patients is important
before we get to the end-goal of improving the decisions we make
regarding patients.

Dan