[BIONT-DSE] Inclusion versus exclusion criteria

From: Alan Ruttenberg <alanruttenberg@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 12:53:54 -0400
Cc: "Andersson, Bo H" <Bo.H.Andersson@astrazeneca.com>, Landen Bain <lbain@topsailtech.com>, Rachel Richesson <Rachel.Richesson@epi.usf.edu>, public-semweb-lifesci hcls <public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org>, public-hcls-dse@w3.org, Stanley Huff <Stan.Huff@intermountainmail.org>, Yan Heras <Yan.Heras@intermountainmail.org>, "Oniki, Tom (GE Healthcare, consultant)" <Tom.Oniki@ge.com>, Joey Coyle <joey@xcoyle.com>, "Bron W. Kisler" <bkisler@earthlink.net>, Ida Sim <sim@medicine.ucsf.edu>
To: Vipul Kashyap <VKASHYAP1@PARTNERS.ORG>

Something that I remain confused about is why there are two
categories of criteria, when, on the face of it, the negation of an
exclusion criterion is an inclusion criterion.

So I'm wondering, is there something between the lines? Is there
something other than the negation? Perhaps kind of criteria, or
lesser necessity, or derivation from different sources? Open versus
closed world? Otherwise, from a technical point of view can we just
consider these the the same sort of thing, with a flag indicating how
they should be shown in a hypothetical user interface?

-Alan