RE: [BIONT-DSE] Clinical Observations Interoperability Telcon September 11th, Tuesday 11:00am - 12:00pm US EDT

Dear Rachel and Landen,

Following up from the Clinical Observations Interoperability Telcon two weeks ago, I do think your presentations where very interesting. From my perspective working in early clinical development within AstraZeneca I do think  <http://esw.w3.org/topic/HCLS/OntologyTaskForce/BIONTDSEDCM?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=W3C-BIONTDSEDCM-08-28-07.ppt> Landen's slide 10  (secondary use) point out where why we all have a common interest to get the interoperability in place.

I like your proposal Rachel to use patient recruitment as use case for this activity. Patient recruitment is a major challenge for us and I guess most pharma companies. It fits well with the future desire to get a better "Real Life" picture of our health care environment. With better information at hand we would understand patient requirements, diseases, etc. much better. This understanding are important for health care providers, pharma companies, health organizations, disease registries, safety organizations etc.

Slide 10 represents in my mind this desire for a "Real Life" picture. To achieve this objective data interoperability is only one challenge of many, however if we in this activity can show how semantic web technologies have the potential to solve the interoperability issue, we will create good conditions for this to become a reality!

AstraZeneca participate in "Electronic Medical Record Task Force 2007 - EU region", a joint effort by European Federation of Pharmaceutical Industries and Associations (EFPIA) and EC. Within this task force the EHR are discussed in the context of enhancing clinical research for better health and high quality healthcare, i.e. well in line with slide 10.

In other words, I support Rachel's proposal and suggest we keep the bigger picture presented by Landen in mind.

Regards,

Bosse

Bo Andersson
Senior Informatician
Discovery Medicine
AstraZeneca R&D Lund, S-221 87 Lund, Sweden
Tel: +46 46 33 76 21 Mobile: +46 709 13 16 21
Fax: +46 46 33 71 92
Clinical Observations Interoperability Telcon

http://esw.w3.org/topic/HCLS/OntologyTaskForce/BIONTDSEDCM

Date and Time:

Spetember 11th, Tuesday 11:00am - 12:00pm EDT

Agenda

Discussion and Finalization of Use Case

Telcon Details:

Phone

+1 617 761 6200, conference 24668 ("BIONT")

IRC

irc://irc.w3.org:6665/hcls

Browser-based IRC client

http://www.w3.org/2001/01/cgi-irc

Feel free to annotate wiki page above with feedback and suggestions.

Cheers,

---Vipul

Vipul Kashyap, Ph.D.

Senior Medical Informatician

Clinical Informatics R&D, Partners HealthCare System

Phone: (781)416-9254

Cell: (617)943-7120

http://www.partners.org/cird/AboutUs.asp?cBox=Staff <http://www.partners.org/cird/AboutUs.asp?cBox=Staff&stAb=vik> &stAb=vik

To keep up you need the right answers; to get ahead you need the right questions

---John Browning and Spencer Reiss, Wired 6.04.95

The information transmitted in this electronic communication is intended only for the person or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this information in error, please contact the Compliance HelpLine at 800-856-1983 and properly dispose of this information.