Re: Global Cancer Epidemiology Data

To demonstrate the GIS cancer data mashup capability. I created a Yahoo
pipe to extract a tabular dataset (from the NCI GIS site) that lists the
death rates for all types of cancers by states
(http://pipes.yahoo.com/pipes/pipe.info?_id=MitwL2Fz3BG8l70pJhOy0Q). It
filters the data based on a user-input threshold against the annual
death rates. One feature of Yahoo Pipes is that it can feed geographic
data output to Google Maps. When the pipe is run, a Map showing that
states that have cancer death rates above the specified threshold are
shown on the map. Then we can use the pipe to export the map output to a
KML file (a standard XML format used by Google Maps/Earth).

I found that there is a web site called geocommons that  allow people to
annotate and share their maps. So I uploaded the cancer profile map to
geocommons. I found there are maps posted on geocommons which involve
different types of environmental data. In addition, geocommons provides
an interface that allows different maps to be combined. Attached is a
screen shot of geocommons showing a map mashing up the cancer profile
data (red dots correspond to the states) and the pollution of streams
and rivers in US (in this case the number of streams/rivers is shown in
the form of a heat map). Notice that most of the states with high cancer
death rates are within the fire zone! This is an example of
geographically correlating cancer data with environmental data.

It would be great if sites like geocommons can become semantic web
aware. HCLS may have the potential to bring web 2.0 and web 3.0
(semantic web) together!?

-Kei